13 April 2012

Screening Nature?


I love nature documentaries, and the mother of them all lately has been the Planet Earth series done by the BBC. I saw yesterday that over Earth Day weekend BBC America will be showing the series uncut. I rejoiced as I’ve been too frugal (cheap) to buy the set yet, and now I can record it.

At the same time, I am aware of the ironies or outright problems involved in connecting with nature by watching it on a screen. It’s breathtaking to watch, and yet by watching I’m choosing to be inside rather than out in the midst of the nature around me. I’m also using energy, and the production of this energy continues to be one of the top threats to the beauty of nature.

I think a “both/and” rather than an “either/or” approach to enjoying such programming would be helpful. Viewing the Planet Earth series and other programming about the beauty all around us should inspire us to spend all the more time sharing in the actual beauty while minimizing our time in front of the television. And yet, if we are going to watch something anyway (and most of us do at least some), what better programming to watch than that which inspires us to make true connections with creation and seek its care?!

No comments: